After work today I stopped by the local sewing store to see if I could find some pale yellow cotton to use on the back of the quilt that I had every intention of working on this afternoon. I did not expect to see gold daisy trim and have to have it. One of the girls at work had shown me a headband that her daughter had received as a gift and I knew it was something my own daughter would like. "I could make that" had gone through my head at the time." I could make that" was something my sister and I dreaded hearing as children. It was generally said way too loud in a department store causing us much embarressment and ultimatly those things did NOT get made. But that was in my teenage years.
As a child though, my mother was a very talented seamstress and did in fact make us all sorts of things. . I spent many a night standing on the kitchen table as my mother marked dresses or coats for hems. I was not very agreeable when it came to these kinds of things and I cringe now when I think of what my mother went through with my sister and I as she struggled to do something nice for us. We had really lovely matching outfits for all the holidays growing up and she even made us coats which I never fully appreciated at the time. Shirts, slacks, skirts... you name it. It is only now that I realize all the hard work and love she put into making those things for us. No wonder by the time we were older she had put away her sewing machine and moved on to knitting or crochet.

Anyhow, when I saw the trim at the store I thought I would give it a shot. It's not perfect...but I know she will happily wear it....and I did make it.
No comments:
Post a Comment